Free Download Grammar for Teachers (book,pdf)
- Grammar presented accessibly and clearly to help ESL/EFL teachers understand and explain how English works
- Discovery activities throughout, designed for readers to explore grammar points on their own first, followed by discussions
- Additional practice activities allow users to test their knowledge; error analysis activities allow practice in identifying and explaining typical ESL/EFL student errors
- Grammar analyses and discussions based on authentic materials from the real world, making the text relevant and engaging
- Formal versus informal grammatical choices examined, focusing on usage in differing contexts
Updated and revised with more examples and expanded discussions, this second edition continues the aim of providing teachers with a solid understanding of the use and function of grammatical structures in American English. The book avoids jargon and presents essential grammatical structures clearly and concisely. Dr. DeCapua approaches grammar from a descriptive rather than a prescriptive standpoint, discussing differences between formal and informal language, and spoken and written English. The text draws examples from a wide variety of authentic materials to illustrate grammatical concepts. The many activities throughout the book engage users in exploring the different elements of grammar and in considering how these elements work together to form meaning. Users are encouraged to tap into their own, often subconscious, knowledge of grammar to consciously apply their knowledge to their own varied teaching settings. The text also emphasizes the importance of understanding grammar from the perspective of English language learners, an approach that allows teachers to better appreciate the difficulties these learners face. Specific areas of difficulties for learners of English are highlighted throughout.